Thursday, September 18, 2008

Changing for the better

Before my very eyes, studying science is changing me. The course syllabus says "You will start to look at the world in a different way". You certainly do. Whilst waiting for the kettle to boil for my morning cup of tea, I watched the water filled bowl sitting in my sink. The remnants of my dinner from the previous night. The tap was dripping into it. Obviously I didn't turn it off properly from my kettle filling chore. After a few minutes I realised that I was deep in thought about how the molecules of the water entering the bowl where dispersing. What did their motion look like? How fast were they travelling? How big were they? How long did it take the area of the water drop to be diluted into the background of the pre-existent molecules? How could I test all this. A coloured drop of water? Would the colouring in the droplet affect the outcome of the experiment? How would the temperature of the water affect it?

Without even realising it fully, my mind is developing into a machine that questions things in a far more detailed way then I ever did before. I notice things I didn't previously. I think about the hidden aspects of something. This is exactly how Einstein discovered Brownian Motion if you believe the stories. He watched the irregular motion of particles on the surface of a fluid - Perhaps Pollen on a pond? He wondered exactly what was making the particles move.

1 comment:

Greg Withnail said...

Surely Brown discovered Brownian motion :-p